Aylesford Priory

Aylesford Priory also known as the Friars was founded by the Carmelites in 1242. In 1538 during the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the Friars passed into the hands of Sir Thomas Wyatt of Allington Castle. It remained in private hands until it was put up for sale in 1949 when the Carmelites were able to buy it back.

The Friars can be reached on the Ringlestone to Wouldham walk,  Medway Valley Walk – Rochester to Aylesford walk and the Medway Valley Walk – Aylesford to Maidstone walk.

There is a bus stop where you can get the 155 to Chatham or Maidstone also a cafe and toilets.

St Joseph’s Statue.

Arch built in 1590 by Sir John Sedley

Part of the pavement in the Peace Garden

The Peace Garden

The Refrectory

Duck pond

Silver Birches in the grounds.

Hothfield Church

This Church can be reached on the 10x service from Maidstone to Ashford. The bus takes a short detour off the A20 and stops north of the Village.

View of the North side
Hothfield Church

Dove cotes opposite the Church
Hothfield Church

Graffiti in the porch
Hothfield Church

Stoop in the porch
Hothfield Church

View from the south
Hothfield Church

Memorial
Hothfield Church
Hothfield Church

Rainwater Hopper
Hothfield Church

North Door and stoop
Hothfield Church

S Cresswell War Grave
Hothfield Church war grave

South porch
Hothfield Church South Porch

Rainwater hopper dated 1833
Hothfield Church

Gravestone of Anna Snoath 1672
Hothfield Church
Here resteth the body of Anna the loving wife of William Snoath. She was a vertuous woman in her life and her dying words were Come Gow to meet with God and Saints. She departed this life July 12th 1672 aged 29 yeares and Here lyeth the body of Elizabeth the daughter of William Snoath. She dyed an infant November 2nd 1672.

North side
Hothfield Church